Note: The instructions in this article apply to an older method of class scheduling and facilitation released with 19R3. While this method still functions, we recommend using the newer simplified method released with 22R2.2.
Sometimes an organization needs Learners to attend instructor-led courses as part of their training matrix requirements. Using the Classroom Training Requirement type, Training Admins can enable Learners to fill those requirements by attending class sessions. This article describes the steps necessary to configure Classroom Training Requirements, schedule classes, track attendance, issue quizzes, and more. See Configuring Vault Training for information about creating other types of Training Requirements.
Instructors can add Learners to a class roster, provide class materials to Learners in the form of Vault documents, associate a quiz with each class session, and track attendance. Learners can view Classroom Training Assignments and see information about the class schedule and sessions, as well as take quizzes.
Note that this article describes a sample configuration. The labels for lifecycle states, user actions, sections and additional components are configurable.
Configuring Classroom Training Overview
These are the basic configuration components for classroom training:
- Create a Classroom Training Requirement: Create the requirement, add any class materials, and associate it with curricula. When ready, change the requirement’s state to an eligible state for automatic training assignment creation.
- Schedule a Class: Make a classroom training instance by creating a Class Schedule object record and associating it with an existing Training Requirement. Determine the roster for the scheduled class, schedule sessions, and associate quizzes with the Classroom Schedule. When ready, change the schedule’s state to one that sends notifications to Learners.
- Issuing a Quiz: For the Session-Quiz Design lifecycle, configure the “Make Available” user action on the Initiated state.
- Grading: For the Class Schedule lifecycle, configure the “Set Class Completion” user action on the Class in Progress or custom states, or the entry action of the same name in the Class Completed or custom states.
Note: The instructions in this article apply to the creation of Classroom Training Requirements for use with an older method of class scheduling and facilitation released with 19R3. To create a Classroom Training Requirement for use with the newer Instructor-Led Training functionality, use the updated creation method.
The following steps describe creating a Classroom Training Requirement. See Configuring Vault Training for information about creating other types of Training Requirements.
- Create a new Training Requirement object record from Business Admin, a custom object tab, or from the details page of the related curriculum.
- In the Create Training Requirement dialog, select Classroom Training Requirement from the drop-down. Note that once you create a Training Requirement, you cannot change its type.
- Fill in the required details. Vault Training lists the Name field internally and displays the Title on the Learner’s class details task page. Select a Class Completion Criteria:
- Instructor sets Class Completion Status: Select this option if you want the instructor to set Class Completion Status for each Class Roster record manually after reviewing attendance and quiz grade values. See the best practices information for Class Roster for configuration recommendations.
- System sets Class Completion Status: Select this option if you want Vault to calculate and set Class Completion Status for each Class Roster record automatically based on the Learner Attendance Status picklist value on the Session Roster record for only sessions marked as required, and, if there was a quiz, based on the Quiz Passed? value of the Quiz Issuance Tracker related record.
- Optional: Select recurrence options.
- Optional: Select a value for Allow Self-Registration?. If you select Learners can self-register, Learners can choose between any available Class Schedules and add themselves without further action by the class facilitator. See details below.
- Optional: Select a document to provide the Learner Homepage Card Image. If your Vault has the Learner homepage enabled, the first page of the document selected in this field will be shown as the card image in the card view.
- Optional: Select the Is A Substitute Training Requirement checkbox to use this Training Requirement as a substitute.
- Optional: If you made the requirement a substitute, select substitute due date options in the Substitute Due Date based on and Substitute Due Date Override fields.
- Optional: If the requirement is a primary requirement that will have substitutes, select the Allow Learner Choice? checkbox to let Learners choose between the current valid substitutes.
- Optional: Select the Allow Self-Enrollment? checkbox to allow Learners to enroll in the course via the Explore tab on the Learner Homepage. See details about self-enrollment.
- Optional: In the Completion Credit Given if Completed Via field, select creation sources which can satisfy this requirement. See details about completion credit.
- Click Save.
- Add the Training Requirement to one or more curricula by clicking into the Training Requirement object record and clicking Add within the Curricula section.
- Optional: On the Training Requirement object record detail page, add any training documents to the Class Materials section. These class materials are carried over to the Class Schedule. Note that you cannot add ZIP files as training documents in this type of Training Requirement. When documents on a Classroom Training Requirement are revised, Vault creates a Training Requirement Impact Assessment record.
The Classroom Training Requirement will not be eligible for assignment until the Training Requirement object record enters a training-eligible lifecycle state. The Update Training Assignments job creates Classroom Training Assignment records. See the best practices section for more details on Classroom Training Assignment creation behavior.
To create a Class Schedule:
- Create a new Class Schedule object record from Business Admin or a custom object tab.
- Fill in the required details. Vault displays text in the Class Overview field on the Learner’s class details task page. Select the Classroom Training Requirement that this class should fulfil.
- Click Save.
Once a Training Admin creates a Classroom Training Requirement and associates it with one or more Curricula (or directly assigns it to a Learner), the Vault Training job creates Classroom Training Assignment records.
When an Instructor selects one (1) or more Learners from a Class Roster on a Class Schedule record, the Instructor is actually selecting the Classroom Training Assignment record.
When Learners self-register for classes, it can reduce work for class facilitators as they will not need to manually add each Learner to a Class Schedule. If you have created a Classroom Training Requirement with self-registration allowed, Learners can add their Classroom Training Assignment to a Class Schedule by clicking into their assignment when the Class Schedule has a Self-Registration Status value of “Open for self-registration”.
To ensure that Learners can only add themselves to a Class Schedule at the appropriate time, configure a lifecycle state for the Class Schedule object with an entry action to update the Self-Registration Status field to “Open for self-registration”. Then, configure another state and entry action to change the value to “Closed for self-registration”.
Learners can change their class registration as long as all of the following conditions are met:
- The Class Schedule that the Learner is currently a part of has a Self-Registration Status field value of “Open for self-registration”
- There is at least one additional Class Schedule that is open for self-registration
- The Training Assignment has an Allow Self-Registration? field value of “Learners can self-register”
Registration should close prior to the Class Schedule lifecycle state in which a facilitator will conduct the class.
To ensure Learners are aware they need to self-register for a class, configure a notification to send when they receive a Classroom Training Assignment that allows self-registration. When a Learner self-registers, the selection pop-up lists up to 50 Class Schedules. Class Schedule records will not appear in the list if they are in either the Class Completed or Class Cancelled states. Learners must have the appropriate permissions to self-register.
To manually populate the class roster with Learners:
- Click into a Class Schedule object record from Business Admin or a custom object tab.
- In the Class Roster section, click Add to open the Add to Class Roster dialog box. This dialog box lists Learners with open Training Assignments that fulfill the chosen criteria. Click the plus (+) icon in the top section of the dialog box to add additional criteria.
- Select applicable Learners in the bottom section of the dialog box to add them to the class roster.
- Click Save to finish editing the class roster.
Note that Vault Training does not create Session Roster records automatically when you add a new Learners. You must configure the Update All Session Rosters action as either a user action or entry action on the Class Schedule object lifecycle, or as an event action on the Session object lifecycle, and trigger this action to add new Learners to the appropriate session rosters.
To create and schedule sessions:
- Click into a Class Schedule object record from Business Admin or a custom object tab.
- In the Sessions section, click Create.
- In the Create Session dialog box, fill in the required details. If you select No for Is this a required session?, Vault disregards the session attendance when calculating completion using the Set Completion Status entry action or user action.
- Select a value for Session Closure Criteria. If you select Session cannot be closed if there are incomplete Quizzes, all Learners must pass the Quiz prior to closing the session. If you select Session can be closed if there are incomplete Quizzes, Learners are not required to pass the Quiz. See Configuring Session Closure Criteria for more information.
- Click Save.
To add a quiz to a session:
- On required sessions, Select Yes for the Require Quiz? field on a required session.
- In the Quiz to Issue section of the Session object record, click Create to open the Create Session-Quiz Design dialog box. Note that you can only select a Quiz for a required session, and you can only select one (1) quiz.
- Click into the Quiz Design field to search for and select a quiz design
- Click Save.
Once you are satisfied with the details of the Class Schedule, you can move it to the Scheduled state. We recommend configuring notifications such that when a Class Schedule enters the Scheduled state, all affected Learners receive Vault notifications and emails about the upcoming scheduled training, including its name, start date, and end date. Vault adds all Learners to the Sharing Settings for the applicable training materials and the Class Schedule, Session, and Class Roster object records. Learners can view the task page for the classroom training. Note that if the Classroom Training Assignment has not been added to a Class Roster, Learners will see a page directing them to come back again later.
Configure Session Closure Criteria picklist values and entry criteria to fit your business process, determining whether a Session should be in the Completed state if there are incomplete Quizzes. Use the picklist value to change the state of Quiz Issuance Tracker to Completed if using Session cannot be closed if there are incomplete quizzes or Completed (Override) if using Session can be closed if there are incomplete quizzes. The picklist values and entry criteria configuration are recommendations and are not required.
The assigned Instructor for a Class Schedule object record is the facilitator for the classroom training.
How to Facilitate a Vault Training Class
To facilitate a scheduled classroom training in Vault:
- Click into a Class Schedule object record from Business Admin or a custom object tab.
- Select the Change State to Class in Progress action from the Class Schedule’s Actions menu.
- In the Sessions section, click into the first session of the class.
- In the Session Rosters section, click in the Learner Session Attendance Status column for each Learner and select either Present or Absent, as appropriate.
- Perform the classroom training.
If the session has a quiz:
- Select the Make Available action from the quiz record’s Actions menu.
- If the session was configured to allow the session to close with incomplete quizzes, you can move on to the next step. Otherwise, allow Learners time to complete the quiz.
To complete a session:
- Select the Change State to Session Completed action from the Session record’s Actions menu.
- Repeat the steps above for each remaining session.
To complete the class:
- Select the Change State to Complete action from the Class Schedule’s Actions menu to close the record and complete the class.
- Optional: If the Class Schedule was configured with the Instructor sets Class Completion Status option, click Show in Tab in the Class Roster section and select a status for each Learner.
- Once the Class Completion Status is set, the Learner’s Training Assignment is either in the Completed State or in the Did Not Complete state. If the Learner’s Training Assignment is in the Did Not Complete state, the Learner must attend another class to get a completion credit for the Training Assignment.
Classroom training is a highly configurable component of Vault Training. We recommend using the provided lifecycle states in your processes. Following the below guidelines can help prevent misconfiguration or unexpected behavior:
Classroom Training Assignment Workflow
An auto-start workflow, View Classroom Training Assignment, is available on the Assigned state for Classroom Training Assignments. This workflow provides Learners with easy access to their assignment records via their My Tasks view. We recommend configuring a Start step with a participant control for the Learner application role, creating a workflow task assigned for the Learner participant control.
Once configured, when a Classroom Training Assignment record is created and in the Assigned state, the workflow automatically starts. This workflow is for navigation purposes. The Learner will not be able to complete the workflow task, and Vault does not display the workflow banner on the task page. When the Classroom Training Assignment enters the Completed state, Vault can cancel the workflow task via the Cancel Classroom Training Workflow entry action.
Classroom Training Assignment Impact
When you create a Class Schedule, documents from the Classroom Training Requirement are copied to it. Documents can be added or removed on the Class Schedule record. Even if all documents are removed from the Class Schedule, if the documents on the Classroom Training Requirement are updated, it impacts the Classroom Training Assignment.
Vault Training does not create Session Roster records automatically when you add a new Learner. The Update All Session Rosters action is available both as a user action and entry action. You must trigger this action to add Learners to the appropriate session rosters. Note that the Class Roster record must be in a Completed or Cancelled lifecycle state at the end of your workflow for Classroom Training.
Note that the Class Roster record must be in a Completed or Cancelled lifecycle state at the end of your workflow for Classroom Training. If your Classroom Training Requirements are configured to issue Workflow Tasks, configuring the Cancel Classroom Training Workflow entry action or user action on the Completed lifecycle state cancels related Training Assignment workflows.
Part of Class
When you add a Learner to a Class Roster, the system is actually adding the Learner’s Training Assignment to the Class Roster. On the Training Assignment, the
part_of_class__v value is set to true, indicating that the Classroom Training Assignment is part of a class. This indicates that the Classroom Training Assignment cannot be part of another Class Roster. The Part of Class value must be set to “No” via an entry action when a Class Schedule reaches its terminal state, either Completed or Cancelled.
If a Learner’s Classroom Training Assignment is part of a Class Roster, and then that assignment subsequently becomes no longer applicable for the Learner due to a training matrix update, Vault cancels the Classroom Training Assignment. This can occur if the Classroom Training Requirement is removed from a Curriculum, the Curriculum containing the requirement is removed from the Learner Role, or the Learner Role is removed from the Person.
Classroom Training Requirement Changes
Evaluate the impact of a Classroom Training Requirement on open Training Assignments prior to moving it to the Retired state. If a Classroom Training Requirement record enters the Retired state (
retired_state__v), Vault cancels any open Classroom Training Assignments, even if the Training Assignment is part of a class (
part_of_class__v = true). Vault deletes the appropriate Class Roster and Session Roster records.
For other cases where a Classroom Training Requirement is changed, such as its recurrence, document revision, or a document change, open Training Assignments are not cancelled if they are part of a class (their
part_of_class__v value is True). Vault creates a new Classroom Training Assignment record. We recommend creating a new Class Schedule and adding the new Classroom Training Assignment, or use Facilitated Training to close out the new Classroom Training Assignment.
Issue Training Assignments
If Issue Training Assignments is set to Yes for a Classroom Training Requirement Impact Assessment, Vault assigns a new Classroom Training Assignment to a Learner. If the Learner has an existing open Classroom Training Assignment for that same Training Requirement with Part of Class set to Yes, then the open Classroom Training Assignment is not canceled, as it is part of a scheduled or in-progress class. We recommend creating a new Class Schedule and adding the new Classroom Training Assignment, or use Facilitated Training to close out the new Classroom Training Assignment.
If Issue Training Assignments is set to No for a Classroom Training Requirement Impact Assessment, Vault assigns a new Classroom Training Assignment to a Learner even if the Learner has an open Classroom Training Assignment. This behavior differs from Vault Document Training Assignments, in which the open Training Assignment is canceled and a new one created. If the open Classroom Training Assignment has Part of Class set to No or blank, the assignment is cancelled. Otherwise, if Part of Class is set to Yes, the assignment is kept open since the class could be ongoing and canceling would disrupt the relevant classroom training assignments. We recommend creating a new Class Schedule and adding the new Classroom Training Assignment or use Facilitated Training to close out the new Classroom Training Assignment.
If a Quiz Design is updated on the Session-Quiz Design object join record, there is no indication to an Instructor to re-issue the quiz. The Instructor must re-perform the Make Available user action.
- Users require Create access to the Class Roster object and Read access to Training Assignment records in order to add Class Roster records. The Read access to Training Assignment records can be used by custom sharing or matching rules. For example, a custom sharing rule on Training Assignment that gives the “Instructors” group access to Training Assignment records. Another example would be a custom matching rule that matches the Training Assignment’s originating Training Requirement and the Class Schedule’s originating Training Requirement.
- Create Custom Sharing Rules or Custom Matching Rules to allow Instructors or other users to see records in the following objects: Class Schedule, Class Roster, Session, and Session Roster. By default, Vault automatically adds the Learner to these object records. For non-Vault Owners or non-Learners, create custom sharing rules to determine other Users’ access to the records.
Permissions for Learner Self-Registration
Learners must have Read permission on the following objects: Class Schedule, Class Roster, Classroom Training Assignment, and Person. For Learners to view Class Schedules on the Self-Registration page, create Custom Sharing Rules or Custom Matching Rules to allow all Learners to view Class Schedule records that are open for self-registration.
Learners must have Read permission on the following objects and fields in order to self-register for a class:
- The following Class Schedule object, and its object fields: Start Date, End Date, Training Requirement, and Self-Registration Status
- The following Class Roster object fields: The Class Schedule field on the Class Roster object.
- The following Classroom Training Assignment object fields: Training Requirement, Part Of Class, Allow Self-Registration, Due Date, and Learner
- The User field on the Person object.