Vault Training allows for training requirements spanning multiple Vault documents, and can include document, video, and audio files. Users complete Read & Understood assignments by reviewing the assigned document and signing to verify they have done so.
The instructions here describe how to create a Vault Document Training Requirement. See Configuring Vault Training for information about creating other types of Training Requirements.
To create Vault Document Training Requirements:
- Create a new training requirement from Admin > Business Admin, a custom object tab, or from the details page of the related curriculum.
- Select the Vault Document Training Requirement type from the drop-down. Note that once you create a Training Requirement, you cannot change its type.
- Enter required details. You can select how long learners will have to complete the assignment with the Duration field and, if enabled by an Admin, the Duration: Initial field.
- Optional: Select recurrence options.
- Optional: Set the Force Learner to View Docs Sequentially checkbox so that Vault displays the documents in order for the Learner.
- Optional: Select a document to provide the Learner Homepage Card Image. If your Vault has the Learner homepage enabled, the first page of the document selected in this field will be shown as the card image in the card view.
- Optional: Select the Is A Substitute Training Requirement checkbox if you wish to use this Training Requirement as a substitute.
- Optional: If you made the requirement a substitute, select substitute due date options in the Substitute Due Date based on and Substitute Due Date Override fields.
- Optional: If the requirement is a primary requirement that will have substitutes, select the Allow Learner Choice? checkbox to let Learners choose between the current valid substitutes.
- Optional: Select the Allow Self-Enrollment? checkbox to allow Learners to enroll in the Training Requirement via the Explore tab on the Learner Homepage. See details below.
- Optional: In the Completion Credit Given if Completed Via field, select creation sources which can satisfy this requirement. See details about Self-Enrolled completion credit below.
- If Learners should not be required to complete a quiz for any newly issued training assignments as a result of the assessment, select the Exclude Quiz for Doc Revision Training checkbox.
- Click Save.
- In the Training Materials section, click Add and select one or more documents for this requirement. These will be the documents that learners interact with when Vault issues them a training assignment. See below for more information.
- Optional: If you create a training requirement from Admin > Business Admin or a custom object tab, it won’t be linked to a curriculum automatically. You can add it to any curriculum by clicking into the Training Requirement object record and clicking Add within the Curricula section. Each curriculum can only be associated with up to 40 training requirements.
Note that Learners cannot partially complete a Training Requirement. Regardless of the number of documents in a Training Requirement, learners complete the assignment with a single eSignature response.
Training Material limitations
The following limitations apply when adding documents to the Training Materials section on a Training Requirement:
- By default, the Training Requirement can be in any state except for Ready For Use when adding documents.
- Binders and ZIP files, other than e-learning ZIP files, are not supported as training materials.
- E-learning content files may require additional setup to ensure that Vault captures and tracks the correct response data.
- You cannot add multiple different versions of a document to a Training Requirement.
The Allow Self-Enrollment? setting allows Learners to enroll in the Training Requirement via the Explore tab on the Learner Homepage. Vault does not process substitute rules, prerequisite rules, document revision, quiz updates, and recurrence configurations for self-enrolled assignments. If you want to limit which Training Requirements appear on the Explore tab, enable and configure DAC on the Training Requirement object. Learners require additional permissions to use this feature. A Learner will not see a Training Requirement on the Explore tab if the Learner has the Training Requirement in their training matrix.
About Completion Credit & Self-Enrollment
You can set the Completion Credit Given if Completed Via field to Self-Enrolled to prevent Vault from assigning a new Training Assignment to a Learner if the Training Requirement is added to the Learner’s training matrix at a later point. If a Learner has a completed self-enrolled Training Assignment, which is a Training Assignment with Creation Source = Self-Enrolled and Lifecycle State = Completed, Vault will not assign a new Training Assignment. If the document version is different between the completed self-enrolled Training Assignment and the Training Requirement, then Vault assigns a new training assignment regardless of the value in this field.
Training Requirements consist of multiple join records to associate them with training material and to ensure that updates to Training Requirements do not affect existing Training Assignments. We recommend using Multi-pass Reporting when creating reports related to Training Requirements.
Assigning Additional Training for Effective Version
Suppose a new employee, Teresa, has just joined a company. Before she can work with equipment or work in a manufacturing setting, Teresa must complete training on the Effective version of a procedure. However, the Training Requirement references the Issued of the document. Note that in this example, Effective is a Steady State state type, while Issued is a Ready For Training state type.
If Teresa must be assigned a Training Assignment for the Effective version of a procedure, you can enable the Assign Additional Training Assignment? option on the Training Requirement. When creating assignments, Vault Training will assign Teresa two (2) Training Assignments: One by the default behavior containing the Issued version, and an additional assignment containing the Effective version.
Configuring Additional Training for Effective Version
An Admin must complete the following configuration steps to set up additional steady state document training:
- Add the following fields to the Vault Document Training Requirement object type page layout:
- Assign Additional Training Assignment?
- Additional Training Assignment Type
- Steady State Content Set Contains
- Add the In Use Steady State Training Content Set section to the Vault Document Training Requirement object type page layout.
Note that the Is Additional Training Assignment? and Additional Training Assignment Type fields are available on the Vault Document Training Assignment object type, which can help determine the origin of a Training Assignment.
How to Assign Additional Training for Effective Version
To add additional training to your Vault Document Training Requirement:
- Navigate to Admin > Business Admin > Training Requirement or a custom object tab, and click into a Training Requirement.
- Select the Assign Additional Training Assignment? checkbox.
- In the Additional Training Assignment Type field, select Steady State Training Assignment.
- Select an option in the Steady State Content Set Contains field. See details below.
- Click Save.
Once you enable the Assign Additional Training Assignment? setting, the In Use Steady State Training Content Set section automatically updates with all of the applicable documents. When created by the nightly training job, the additional training assignment contains this set of documents.
Steady State Content Set Contains
Select from the following options in the Steady State Content Set Contains drop-down.
- Steady State version for each Ready For Training document: The resulting additional assignment will only include the subset of steady state versions for each Ready For Training document
- Steady State version and other trainable documents: Results in an additional assignment with steady state versions of applicable documents as well all training-eligible documents. This can be helpful if, for example, Learners will require more context or reference material to effectively train on the steady state document versions.
About the In Use Steady State Training Content Set
Once you enable the Assign Additional Training Assignment? setting on a Training Requirement, the In Use Steady State Training Content Set section displays the most current steady state and training-eligible version of applicable documents based on the requirement’s Training Materials. This content set shows what Vault will include in the additional Training Assignment. While you cannot make changes to this section directly, Vault automatically updates it if you add or remove documents from Training Materials.
Vault checks for the following situations before adding a document to the In Use Steady State Training Content Set:
- Vault does not add documents to the In Use Steady State Training Content Set section which are not training-eligible, such as Draft.
- Vault cannot add a steady state document if there is no steady state version prior to the latest training-eligible version.
The following limitations apply to Training Requirements with additional training enabled:
- Substitute training requirements cannot have Assign Additional Training Assignment? enabled. Vault does, however, evaluate and apply substitution rules for the additional training assignment as normal.
- Direct Assignment does not create an additional training assignment.
- Assign Additional Training Assignment? is not available for other training requirement types.
Working with E-Learning Content
While e-learning content requires additional setup and configuration, you can add e-learning course ZIP files to Vault Document Training Requirements just as you would any other document. See this article for more information about resetting course progress, as well as session timeout behavior and limitations.
Editing Training Materials for Existing Training Requirements
If an existing Training Requirement has at least one open Training Assignment with the same Training Content Set, then Vault displays an additional confirmation dialog when you attempt to make modifications to its set of Training Materials. After selecting the Vault documents to add or remove, the dialog displays the number of Learners that will receive new Training Assignments as a result of the change, as well as the number of existing open Training Assignments that will either be left open or closed, based on settings.
Clicking either number takes you to a record list view filtered to the affected Training Assignment records. This view, along with the count of potentially impacted Training Assignments, only includes open Training Assignments where the Training Content Set is the same as the one currently being modified.
Clicking Edit Settings in the dialog allows you to recalculate the impact of the change based on the field values that control the impact: Do Not Re-Train, Keep Open Training Assignments, and Exclude Quiz for Doc Revision Training. The fields here control:
- Whether a Learner who has completed a Training Assignment for this Training Requirement should be required to complete a new Training Assignment based on the Training Material updates. In other words, this field controls whether the Learner should be retrained.
- If a Learner has a currently open Training Assignment, should they be required to complete both the current one and the new one that will go out with the materials update. If you change these values, Vault saves the new values on the Training Requirement when you complete the dialog.
- If Learners should not be required to complete a quiz for any re-issued training assignments as a result of document revisions.
Saving a change to the Training Materials automatically causes a new Training Assignment to be issued for Learners with a currently open Training Assignment for this Training Requirement, and open Training Assignments will be canceled, if settings are configured to do so.
Editing Recurrence for Existing Training Requirements
If enabled by an Admin, the Recurrence section of the Training Requirement record displays an informational alert when you click Edit on the record. Vault displays the alert only if the Training Requirement has resulted in at least one Training Assignment.
Once you save an update to Recurrence, the next time the Vault Training automation job runs the new Recurrence rule is updated on each Learner’s most recent Training Assignment, whether that assignment is open or closed.
See this article for more information on Vault Training recurrence options.
Training Admin users require the following object permissions to create and manage Vault Document Training Requirements:
- Create, Read, Edit, and Delete for Training Requirements of object type Vault Document Training Requirement
- Read on the Training Content Set and Training Content Set-Document objects in order to see documents in the Training Materials section.
- Create and Edit on the Training Content Set and Training Content Set-Document objects in order to see and use the +Add button in the Training Materials section.
- Delete on the Training Content Set-Document object in order to see and use the Remove action for documents in the Training Materials section.
- Edit on the Training Content Set-Document object in order to see and use the Reorder button.
Learners users require the following permissions to complete Vault Document Training Assignment tasks:
- Read for Training Assignment objects of object type Vault Document Training Assignment
- Read for the Assigned state in the Training Assignment Lifecycle
Learner users require the following permissions to use the Self-Enrollment feature:
- Read on the Training Requirement object and record in order to see a Training Requirement on the Explore tab.
- A Learner sees a “You do not have permission” message on the Explore tab if the user’s permission set does not include Read access to the following fields on the Training Requirement object:
- In Use Training Content Set
- Last Modified Date
- Allow Self-Enrollment?
- Estimated Time to Complete (Minutes)
- Created Date
- The Learner must have an eligible Person record and Read access to the Person object.
- Read on the Curriculum object in order to filter by Curricula on the Explore tab.
- Read access to documents referenced in the Training Requirement’s Learner Homepage Card Image field in order to see the appropriate image on the Training Requirement card.