QualityDocs Vaults provide special rules and fields in addition to standard document download functionality in order to support generation, distribution, and tracking of controlled copies. All controlled copies that you generate in Vault have a unique Controlled Copy ID field. Your Vault may also apply specialized overlays or attach/omit signature pages on the content when you download controlled copies. For documents in a given lifecycle state, there may be none, one, or many controlled copy actions, for example, Request Laboratory Reference Copy and Request Facility Posting Copy.
Note: The functionality in this article refers to legacy controlled copies. See Downloading Extensible Controlled Copies for information on working with object-based Extensible Controlled Copy, or Extensible Controlled Copy Configuration (QualityDocs) for information on configuring Extensible Controlled Copy in QualityDocs Vaults.
Enabling Controlled Copy
For you to distribute a controlled copy for a document:
- An Admin must have configured at least one controlled copy user action for the lifecycle state that your document is in.
- You must have the Distribute Controlled Copies permission for the document.
How to Request Controlled Copies
To request and distribute a controlled copy:
- From the Actions menu for a document, select a controlled copy action. These actions may not contain “controlled copy” in the name.
- Optional: In Requested For, select the Vault user for whom the controlled copy is intended. Either this field or Audience Details is required.
- Optional: In Audience Details, select or enter the details for the intended audience for the controlled copy, for example, an office location or a department name. Note that while either this field or the Requested For field above is required, both may be specified together.
- In Reason or Justification, select or enter the reason why you are requesting the new copy.
- In Number of Copies, enter the number of controlled copies you wish to distribute. Note that an Admin must configure the user action to allow multiple copies at a time for this option to display.
- Click Download. If you requested more than one controlled copy, Vault asynchronously generates a ZIP file containing the requested copies. The ZIP file also includes a manifest PDF file with request details including document names, versions, any encountered errors, and the requestor’s name. You can download the file from your Notifications page.
Distribution Reports for Multiple Controlled Copies
When you request multiple controlled copies, Vault generates a unique Controlled Copy ID and log in a distribution report. Vault numbers Controlled Copy IDs sequentially in distributions reports for easy tracking. If an error occurs while preparing a set of controlled copies, Vault reserves the Controlled Copy ID and will not use that number. Distribution reports also include a Package ID that identifies the controlled copies requested by a single user.
Generate Controlled Copies Bulk Action
To request controlled copies via bulk action, see Using Bulk Document Actions.
If you use Internet Explorer and the Vault website is not a “trusted site” in your Internet Explorer settings, your browser asks whether to download the document. In some versions of Internet Explorer, the page refreshes after you allow the action. In these instances, Vault logs the controlled copy as requested, but not downloaded. If this occurs, you must request a new controlled copy and indicate the previous one as recalled. (Use a Distribution-type report to mark copies as recalled. See Viewing Reports.) To prevent this, we recommend that all users of controlled copy functionality add Vault (
*.veeva.com) to your browser’s trusted sites list.