The Sibling Check Related Record State Change entry action allows you to configure a lifecycle so that a record automatically moves forward when all “sibling” records from a related object are in a specific state. “Sibling” records are records for a single object that all have a relationship to the same record on a related object. For example, a group of Investigation records that are all related to the same Quality Event record. The sibling records can also be checked for specific field conditions before the state change.
This configuration option is ideal for investigations and CAPA actions where an organization wants the related quality event to change states once all investigations or actions are complete.
Note: This entry action is only available for QMS Vaults. As of 20R2.2, an entry action with similar functionality is now available for all applications.
How to Set Up the Action
The following section covers details that are specific to this entry action. For general information on configuring entry actions, see Configuring Object Lifecycles.
To configure this entry action:
- From Admin > Configuration > Object Lifecycles, open the lifecycle that applies to the “sibling” object.
- Click into the lifecycle state that you want all sibling records to be in when you change the related record state.
- Add the Sibling Check Related Record State Change entry action.
- Optional: Make the Sibling Check conditional based on a field that applies to the “sibling” object. Under Field, selecting a field, operator (like “equals”), and value. Only Yes/No (boolean) fields are available here.
- Under [Sibling Object] State (Investigation State, for example), select a condition like “All records equal” and the state you want sibling records to be in. This should match the state on which you’re configuring the entry action.
- Under Change State Of, select the related object that you want to move to a new state. The object must be related through an outbound relationship, either Parent or Reference.
- Select the To state for the related object.
VeePharm configures the Sibling Check Related Record State Change entry action for the Investigation object. This entry action checks the state of investigations related to the same Quality Event record.
Whenever an Investigation record enters Closed state, Vault looks at other Investigation records where the same Quality Event record is selected. If any of those records are not in Closed state, nothing happens. If all related Investigation records are in Closed state, Vault executes a state change on the related Quality Event record.
VeePharm wants to modify the above configuration so that Quality Events can close without certain optional Investigation records being complete. To configure this, the Admin adds a new Yes/No field to the Investigation object: Required. Then, the Admin updates the entry action on the investigation lifecycle’s Closed state to specify that Required equals Yes.
Now, whenever an Investigation record enters Closed state, Vault looks only at other Investigation records where the same Quality Event record is selected and where the Required field is set to Yes. If any of those records are not in Closed state, nothing happens. If all related Investigation records are in Closed state, Vault executes a state change on the related Quality Event record.