The Set Permissions on Related Object action allows Admins to configure an entry or user action that will assign an application role, such as Viewer, on a related object record to a user or users assigned to a defined role on the current object record. This ensures that the users assigned to the object record, such as a CAPA Action, will be able to access and view the related object record, such as the related Deviation, to assist in performing their assigned tasks while still preventing them from being able to access and view unrelated records.
This action is particularly helpful in configurations where users who are not part of a Quality Team may need to interact with related object records to complete a task.
Enabling the User Action
The Set Permissions on Related Object action is available as a user action or an entry action. In order to configure the action as a user action, you must add it in the intended object’s configuration. When adding it, ensure that you do not select the Available in All Lifecycle States checkbox.
Configuring the Set Permissions on Related Object Action
To configure the Set Permissions on Related Object action:
- From Admin > Configuration > Object Lifecycles, click into the applicable lifecycle.
- In the States section, click into the lifecycle state in which you want to set, or allow to be set, permissions on related object roles.
- In the User Actions or Entry Actions section, click Edit.
- Add the Set Permissions on Related Object action.
- Select one or more Lifecycle Roles. Choose the roles on the lifecycle’s object that you want Vault to target for permission updates when the action executes.
- Select an Outbound Reference Field on the lifecycle’s object. Choose the field that references the related object that Vault will target for permission updates when the action executes.
- If the target related object has types, select an Object Type.
- In the Assign Permission to Lifecycle Role drop-down, select any non-system role. Vault grants the permissions for the selected role on the related object when the action executes. You cannot select the Owner role, or any role on the related object that is associated to an active Quality Team Role for that object type.
- If you are configuring the action as a user action, add an Action Label.
- Click Save.